I came across the images from Carolina Herrara’s S/S 2015 NYFW show and was inspired by the hairstyle I saw.
Famed hairstylist, Orlando Pita created a Japanese “Sumo Knot” for the models for the show. The result was this sleek, beautifully crafted top knot, with half the ponytail left out and flatted and sprayed in place. It was like a work of art on top of each model’s head. I am in love with it and can’t wait to have one of my hairstylists recreate it on me.
The look was sponsored by CHI/BioSilk and the breakdown of how to get the look is below.
1. Apply a generous amount of BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray to a brush and the hair and use it to sculpt the hair into a sleek ponytail with a large CHI Turbo Nylon Brush that is placed 2 inches below the crown area. Secure the ponytail with a band.
Orlando Pita: “If the model’s hair had texture or curl, I blow dried it straight first with the CHI TOUCH Touchscreen Blow Dryer.”
2. Run the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron through the length of the ponytail so it is sleek and smooth.
3. Spray a generous amount of BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray onto the length of the ponytail and while damp take a tail comb and the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron to gently fold the ponytail in half to form an off-center looped bun shape while bringing the remaining hair down the center to form a tail and secure with an elastic band.
Orlando Pita Tip: “The tail comb and BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray are essential to shape, mold and bend the hair into a loop. This is the most intricate part of the style. The ideal component of the BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray is that it gives hold while still letting the hair to remain flexible.”
4. To create the ultra-sleek tail and add length to it, use an extension sprayed with BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray and straightened with the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron. Cut the ends on a sharp angle and attach under the loop blending it over the existing tail and secure with pins.
5. Take a separate piece of extension about 2-3” in width spray it with BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray and straighten with the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron to form a ribbon-like piece. Wrap around the elastic band to hide it.
6. Apply BioSilk Shine On Spray to complete the look.